Sunday, January 8, 2012

Question for people who have swapped for a jdm engine?

If I were to swap out my engine in my stock civic dx for a b18c1 engine what do I tell my insurance company? Do I just tell them its a stock 95' dx coupe or what? Please only people that have done engine swaps answer please.|||I live in minnesota I don't have to worry about smog check


don't ask don't tell


I wrecked my hatch with a swap GSR motor and I got my money back


they knew I had a swap engine, but they never asked|||Seeing as JDM engines generally don't have the proper EGR equipment to be legally sold in the US; swapping the engine in, is illegal.





Go ahead and tell your insurance company you swapped it. And be prepared to be dropped from their coverage.





Or don't tell them. Then when you get in a wreck, don't expect any reimbursement.|||It is my opinion that if they don't ask, don't tell.


As for emissions requirements, it takes some careful study as to what emission changes need to be made. Many JDM engines are the same as the US counter parts except in matters of tuning curves. All of the ones that I have studied in detail have the same catalytic converters, smog pumps and EGR systems, but the ECM programs have been different.


Do some research on this issue, a lot of people claim to "Know" but I am finding more pseudo experts then real things in this area.


Even if the EGR and other smog equipment is different for the engine it is replacing, in many cases there is a US counter part for parts to convert the JDM over to a US legal engine.|||Correct!





However, if you really want to register the engine "legally" without the high cost buying USDM parts to convert the emissions to be US legal, then find yourself a shade tree mechanic that will pass your car on a smog check. From there you can register the motor to your chassis.


On paper, you will be "LEGIT"

No comments:

Post a Comment